Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
  Member Resources  
New Hampshire Members Awarded Liberty Mutual’s Firemark Award
Connecticut Members Reach Out to Young Cancer Patients
Philly Fire Fighter Dies in Line of Duty
New York City and 8 Labor Unions Reach Tentative Contract
Fire Fighters Question Governor’s Failed Leadership During Ferguson Unrest
December 3 Marks 15th Anniversary of the Worcester 6
Memphis Fire Fighters Donate $12,000 to Local Cancer Charity

More Headlines
Contact Congress!
Enter Zip code:
Action Center
First Alert Injury Reporting System
We encourage ALL members to help improve fire fighter safety by sharing injury experiences so that all fire fighters and emergency responders can help prevent unnecessary injuries and fatalities. Please fill out one of these reports when suffering a injury. All reports are voluntary, non-punitive, and secure with the goal of improving firefighter safety.
Firefighter Legislation
Firefighter legislation in PA and our position on each bill as well as the status in the General Assembly
IAFF Local Newswire
Join the Newswire!
Updated: May. 31 (15:10)
Nominations For Local 718 Officers Information
Boston Fire Fighters
Friday Update 5-29-20
IAFF Local 1014
TM Contract Update
IAFF local 2464
Lt. Jim Haines E52 Last Tour
Boston Fire Fighters
Suncoast Firefighters
Local 42's Office CLOSED
IAFF Local 42
About Us
Mar 27, 2007

Who are the McKeesport Firefighter’s?

We are….

  • Your friends and neighbors.
  • The people teaching your children what to do in the event of a fire in your home.
  • The people you see in the streets collecting donations for “Jerry’s Kids”.
  • The people you pass cutting the grass outside the fire station in the park.
  • The firefighters who protect the men, women and children, who live, work and pass thru the City of McKeesport on a daily basis.

Many of you may never need our services, and we hope that you never do.  However, some of you will find yourself in need of our services at some point and for that reason; our firefighters are on-duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the two fire stations maintained by the City, ready to immediately respond to your emergency.

The minimum complement of on-duty personnel is five (5) firefighters. However, many times during the year the number of on-duty firefighters on a daily basis is six (6) or seven (7) firefighters.


Jun 26, 2008

Station #1

Station #1 is located in the Public Safety Building (formerly the City Hall building) at 201 Lysle Blvd next to the Downtown business district.  This station also serves as the administrative headquarters for the Fire Department.

The minimum staffing for Station #1 is three (3) firefighters, however it is often staffed by four (4) firefighters.

 The firefighters assigned to Station #1 operate a 2001 E-One HP75 Sidestacker Aerial Quint (Ladder 190) and a 1998 Ford Expedition (Command 190). 

Jun 26, 2008

Station #2

Station #2 is located at the intersection of Eden Park Blvd. and Tulip Drive in Renziehausen Park.

The minimum staffing for Station #2 is two (2) firefighters, however this station is sometimes staffed with three (3) firefighters.

The firefighters assigned to Station #2 operate a 2009 Seagrave Pumper (Engine 190).  Additionally, a 1997 KME Pumper (Engine 190-X) is housed at this station and serves as a reserve apparatus.

A 1998 Ford Cargo Van (MAC 190) is also housed at Station #2.  This unit is equipped with a mobile cascade system in order to refill SCBA air cylinders for our firefighters when operating at a building fire. 

MAC 190 is placed into service when off-duty personnel are called in for building fires and other major incidents.  It is not staffed on a regular daily basis.

Mar 27, 2007

History of McKeesport Fire Department

  • The first McKeesport fire department was established in the Borough of McKeesport in 1873, and was known as the Eagle Volunteer Fire Company.
  • In 1885, McKeesport established a fire department by hiring one man. He was responsible for one hose reel and a hook and ladder.
  • The first business house fire was in 1854 at Patton's Store on Second and Market Streets.
  • On October 4, 1877, the City had a major conflagaration when the Enterprise Foundry and Car Shop at Fifth Ave. and Walnut Street caught fire. The blaze spread quickly and damaged 32 buildings.
  • In 1877, the City's first fire alarm system was installed.
  • In the fall of 1892, the #2 fire station was built on Fifth Ave. in the East End section of the City. This station cost the City $43,000. Station #2 was razed due to a construction project in the 1950's, and was temporarily housed at Lowery's Garage. A new station was built  on East Fifth Ave. in January of 1950.  It still stands today next to the on-ramp the Duquesne-McKeesport Bridge.
  • Also in the fall of 1892, the #3 fire station was built at Evans Ave. and Bailie Ave. This station also cost the City $43,000. This station was demolished and a new station built in April of 1960. In January of 1976 this station closed, and was sold several years later.
  • The first offically recorded fire was the City Flour Mill on Jerome Street, December 9,1887, damage estimated at $60,000.
  • In 1893, the Central Fire Station was constructed on Market Street and Fourth Ave. The cost of construction was $30,000. The buildind was later demolished in the 1950's by the City's redevelopement program.
  • In 1914, the first motor vehicle was placed in service at the Central Fire Station.
  • In 1919, the City purchased a 65 ft. aerial ladder and a 750 gallon pummper for the Central Station, a 750 gallon pumper for Station #2, and a service ladder truck and a 750 gallon pumper for Station #3. The total cost of the purchase was $55,000.
  • In 19__, Station #4 was established in the City's Grandview section. This station operated the only horse drawn apparatus until 1925 when the horses were replaced with motorized equipment.
  • In 1919, a two platoon system was adopted by the department. Prior to that time, firefighters worked 24 hours a day with time off for their meals and one day off every 10 days.
  • Before 1938, firefighters worked 7 days a week, and on Sundays worked 24 hours straight when they changed from day to night shifts. On March 10, 1938, firefighters were given a day off each week by a change in state law.
  • In 1951, Fire Inspector William Jackson met with  officials from the Association of Fire Underwriters to discuss scheduling, vacation allotments, and to see if placing the department firefighters on 8 hour shifts would effect the city's insurance rating.
  • On July 1, 1951, state officials approved the departments plan to put its firefighters on 8 hour shifts, and 13 new firefighters were hired.
  • In 1981, the fire department switched to a 4 platoon system working 24 hour shifts with 72 hours off. This system remains in effect today, and has allowed the City to reduce the number of firefighters needed to manage the department.
  • In 1991(?) the current Station #2 on Eden Park Blvd in Renzie Park was opened.
  • In Novemeber of 2005, the first part-time firefighters in the history of the department were hired.
  • On April 11, 2007 a Fallen Firefighters Memorial was dedicated outside Station #2.
  • During the summer of 2007, the majority of the department participated in a pilot program for off-site firefighter certification testing.  At the conclusion of this program, the vast majority of the firefighters were Firefighter 2 certified.
  • In late 2010, the City took delivery of brand new, purpose built fire/rescue boat to enhance the department's water rescue program.
  • In 2011, several members of the department completed training to become certified at the Technician Level for water rescue.  The Fire Department also became a participating member of the Allegheny County Swiftwater/Flood Response Team.

May 16, 2007

 Major Fires and Incidents in the City of McKeesport

Oct. 4, 1877     Fifth & Walnut Streets Enterprize Foundry & Car Shop Southside of Fifth Ave. - all buildings burned out from Walnut to B. & O. Railroad, fire crossed street and burned buildings on opposite side of street - 32 buildings in all burned.

  • Dec. 9, 1887      Jerome St. & City Flour Mill                                                           $ 60,000
  • Feb. 8, 1896      Fifth & Strawberry St.- Altmeyer Theater (John Barto died in fire)      $125,000
  • Sept. 21, 1904   Fifth & Walnut St. - Finley's Store                                                   $  23,000
  • Nov. 23, 1914   300 blk. Fifth Ave.- J.D. O'Neil's Dept. Store                                    $125,000
  • Jan. 24, 1917    5th and Sinclair St. - Normandie Bldg.                                             $ 50,000
  • June 2, 1918     9th & Market St. - Ferguson's Shirt Waist Factory                              $ 40,000
  • Dec. 24, 1919    Evans & 9th Street - St. Pius Church                                               $ 41,500
  • Dec. 29, 1919    Centennial School                                                                         $ 60,000
  • Feb. 8, 1920        Fifth & Strawberry St. - Crown Chocolate Co. and Famous Dept. Store                            $ 1,000,000
  • July 5, 1923        Fifth & Center St. - Schmidt Hotel (8 killed, unk. number missing and injured)                     $ 50,000
  • July 11, 1924      Walnut & Penny St. - 1st Methodist Church                                                                       $ 75,000
  • Dec. 11, 1935     315 Fifth Ave. - G.C. Murphy Store                                                                                  $ 65,000
  • Feb. 18, 1939     404-406 Fifth Ave. - Yester Bldg.                                                                                     $ 55,000
  • July 10, 1943     315 Fifth Ave. - G.C. Murphy Store and Restaurant                                                             $150,000
  • Feb. 10, 1945     Fifth & Walnut St. - Ruben Bldg.                                                                                       $500,000
  • Jan. 21, 1954     551 Fifth Ave. - Monterey Inn & Ace Wall Paper Co.                                                           $150,000
  • Feb. 12, 1955     306-310 Fifth Ave.- Sieberg's Clothing, Gil's Dress Shop, DeRoys Jewler's, Rubenstein Shoes                     $250,000
  • Mar. 31, 1956     Connelly Bldg. - Sunnylane Market                                                                                   $125,000
  • Jan. 7, 1972       McKeesport Hospital                                                                          $ 1,000,000
  • May 21, 1976     Fifth Ave. & Market St. - Famous Department Store                               $ 4,000,000
  • Spread south destorying Elks temple, Market St. School., and damage to Striffler's Funeral Home               across Sixth Street flames shot east across Market Street destroying buildings occupied by Kadar's                     Clothing Store, Book Store, Oddo's Hobby Shop, Farmer's Pride Chicken Store, Coney Grill Restaurant               and caused damage to McKeesport Cinema and McKeesport National Bank Branch. Flames also crossed              Fifth Ave. N.E. to the Kelly Building, damaging The Apple Shop, Feigs Bakery and Natale's Sporting Goods.
  • May 8, 2006    Multiple suspicious fires in Lower 10th Ward dispatched in less than one hour.  One commercial and 2 residential buildings within a 2-3 block radius were set on fire during the overnight.
  • July 11, 2008     Hi-view Gardens  520 Coursin St.  Early morning fire in which an estimated 30 trapped occupants were rescued (with no significant injuries) from the building due to the combined efforts of the on-duty crew plus McKeesport Police and EMS personnel on scene.



Page Last Updated: Aug 27, 2013 (06:29:00)
McKeesport Firefighters
Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

592837 hits since Jul 25, 2011

Top of Page image